On 9/22/2000 at 1:41 PM [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Web Site Control Utility:  These type of things are growing in
popularity, the next killer app?  Could be.  I could see this being
easy
to create with REBOL as well, of course depending on how in depth you
wish to go.  Could you explain more about this?

Here's the feature set from the two I've seen. I know one of these was
written in Perl. Dunno about the other. A REBOL version may have to use
/COMMAND to access the command shell.

--

+ Change password
+ View Site statistics
+ Check resources (disk space, email, data transfer)
+ Manage POP mail accounts
+ Manage files - copy, rename, delete, change attribute
+ Protect directories, redirect URLS,
+ Archive files and folders
+ Create site from standard templates
+ Install optional modules - MySQL, FrontPage, et cetera
+ Install optional features - Search Engine, Anon FTP, Mailing List,
PGP mail,
+ Install optional scripts - Hit counter, form mail,
+ Install new MIME types, security certificate, SSH
+ Trace routes
+ Contact support / Submit trouble ticket

Server Management

Manage Web Server

Change your main server password
Measure disk usage
Install Webalizer(stats)
Generate/View Web Stats
Clear server logfiles

Manage Email Services

List all pop/ftp accounts
Add a new pop/ftp account
Modify an existing account
Delete an existing account
Configure email aliasing/forwarding
Designate a site-wide default maildrop
Configure autoresponding aliases
Block unwanted email (spam)
Advanced email for virtual hosts
Create/Modify MailList

Manage Ecommerce Services

Order Merchant Account
Order Transaction Gateway
Install Gateway-Enabled Cart

Manage Advanced Options

List all Virtual Hosts
Enable/Disable Logs
How to password protect directories
Set username passwords
Create multiple usernames/passwords
Set all cgi-bin programs executable
Start/ Restart mSQL Server
Stop mSQL Server
Check Perl scripts for common errors
Set file permissions on any file
Untar a file

Install New Services

Order Internet Access
Register Domain Name
Add Front Page to a Virtual Host
Add a Virtual Host vpanel
Add a Virtual Host cgi-bin
Install Virtual Host Webalizer
Create a Guestbook
Install Shopping Cart
Install Support Queue
Install mSQL Server

--

I haven't stumbled over any apps like these in the CGI libraries, so it
still seems like a NEW thing to me.

And, of course, it is the type of project that can be written one
script at a time.

There was a story in an online article (perhaps apocryphal) that Carl
decided to write REBOL while setting up a Lynx box. He supposedly
thought to himself that there should be a single scripting language
that could be used to handle all these services, and then sat down to
work on REBOL. It would be cool to see that dream finally come true.

-Ted.