On 9/23/2000 at 9:01 AM [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Now there's a real good one.  Take a look at the Ultimate BBS
(http://infopop.com), which is written in PERL and is
  like 250k worth of scripts in size.  The equivalent REBOL  code
should be like 50k or something.

I actually have that one installed, and people really enjoy using it.
Works like a charm. But we're moving away from Perl, so I'm looking at
a new open source board, Jive. In fact, I'm installing a test copy this
afternoon. For reference, the class folder (it's Java) is 250k, and the
source is 660k.

> The equivalent REBOL code should be like 50k or something.

So what's your point of reference for an application as
easy-to-configure and feature-rich as Ultimate BBS?

>   The key issue for doing a cgi based BBS is session   management,
authentication, authorization.  Those issues  have to be dealt with
first in the design and implementation  before moving on to any of the
screens.

Interestingly, Jive's < http://www.coolservlets.com/jive > major
selling feature is they separate presentation from the backend. It
supports user-selectable "skins" (UI's), and well as programatic
filters recall data from the pluggable backend to the skin.

-Ted.