Hi Jough,

Usability wise, it's a good idea to have human-readable URLs (Google will also add extra weight for keywords in the URL), so if you're doing this to create friendlier URLs then I'd say it's all good.

To stop the validator/robots/etc. seeing it as a 404 error, you need to send a 200 OK HTTP status code, you can do that in PHP using this line of code:

header("HTTP/1.1 200 OK");

If you're just doing it to fix a broken link, then using a '301 Moved Permanently' redirect would be more appropriate, like so:

header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
header("Location: http://example.com/my/new/url.html");

I'm not 100% sure how search engine robots, etc. would treat it, but I imagine they would all index the location.

Hope this helps, if it makes no sense, I blame the cold & flu pills :)