Subject: A nice first step...
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:30:31 +0100
From: Patrick Lauke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: Patrick H. Lauke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

First of all, I'm pleased to see developments being taken in this area.
A few points, though:

- "Google defines accessible websites and pages as content that the
blind and visually challenged can use and consume using standard online
technology"
Is there any chance that this definition may be expanded?
"Accessibility" also covers provision for other types of disability.
Certainly some would be difficult to test for (e.g. cognitive
disabilities such as dyslexia), but maybe access for users of
alternative devices (e.g. keyboard access, rather than mouse-driven) or
maybe even deaf / hard of hearing (heuristically determining the
presence of links to transcripts when there are audio/video resources
present, for instance) would be good. Otherwise, it may be more of a
"blind search".

- on the FAQ page, it should be "Web Content *Accessibility* Guidelines"

- lastly, the big one: are you planning to also streamline and modify
your own markup (both on the search form page and the results page)?
Validation would be a start, and maybe a different structure to the
search results which would certainly aid users of assistive technologies
navigate their way around the result sets easier. For instance (and
certainly not claiming that this is the best way to do it, but it gives
an idea I hope), see how we present results (from a markup point of
view) on
<http://search.salford.ac.uk/cgi-bin/htsearch?config=&restrict=&exclude=&words=lauke&method=and&sort=score&search=search>

Kind regards,

Patrick