Steve Green wrote:

I would hardly call OSX an 'upgrade' - it's a major investment. It's not just the £100 or so for the OS, it's the cost of all the new applications like an office suite and all the other stuff you need plus the installation
time and hassle of migrating email accounts etc.

I know only too well... My tongue *was* firmly in cheek in calling this an upgrade...

I don't have current figure for OS9 usage but in June 2004 (i.e. 3 years after OS X launched) Steve Jobs announced that 50% of the 24 million Mac
users were now using OS X. That means 50% were still on OS9 or earlier.

...and that's 2 years ago now - a long time in computing!

In the developed world we're used to having pretty up to date kit but don't forget that a large proportion of the world's population can't afford this and still use much older kit, often machines that have been discarded here
precisely because the software cannot be upgraded.

OK, sure - which brings me back to my suggestion of delivering a no-frills version of sites to people with no-frills gear. For the sake of nine characters, you can make sure your sites are accessible (=usable in this context) by the max number of visitors. Not as pretty, maybe, but what's more important - the layout or the content?

Omnivision. Websight.
http://www.omnivision.com.au/