Ian Pouncey wrote:
Tony Crockford wrote:
 > the framed pages have *no* doctype - what would make them "strict"?
 > and why, when they are part of a frameset would you try and validate
 > them against a strict DTD?

Why do the framed pages not have a doctype Tony? I can't see anywhere in the article you reference where this is stated.

I read this:

"The starting point for any framed set of Web pages is the <frame> tag, which usually uses the src attribute to point to a particular HTML document.

<frame src="mainpage.html">

The <frame> tag defines the content of a single framed page. The example above assumes that you want to have a file called mainpage.html displayed within the frame. The only required attribute for the <frame> tag is the src attribute, which obviously tells the browser what file to display inside the frame. So far so good.

You can also control the appearance of scrollbars inside the frame with the scrolling attribute:

<frame src="mainpage.html" scrolling="yes">

The default value for this attribute is auto, which lets the browser decide whether or not scrollbars are to be displayed. The other two values are yes and no, which are pretty self-explanatory.

There is no closing </frame> tag.

You should not include any <head> tag information in the mainpage.html file, since the file represents a larger document. Everything on this page should be included within the <body> tags."
(from: http://www.sitepoint.com/print/frames-frame-usage-explained)

and understood it to mean that framed content would just be <body>content<body>

in any case I think we're all agreed that trying to include a Strict doctyped page inside a frameset is pointless.

why anyone would want to mix up frames and strict DTD's I still don't understand.

;o)