On 16 Nov 2006, at 11:41:40, Barney Carroll wrote:

I do know that generally it [Safari] treats the styling of forms with disdain (plus I'm using javascript on them for display purposes, oo-er). Is there any other significant 'bug' I should know about?

Long, long ago - well, within the last few years - there was a general belief that styling of form controls was a Bad Thing from a usability perspective, as it meant the user got an experience with web form controls that wasn't consistent with the appearance of such controls within their operating system. A number of cutting-edge and utterly horrible examples of over-the-top styling of form controls by too-enthusiastic designers helped to reinforce the idea that it shouldn't be done.

In particular, Safari has always enforced the idea that a checkbox (for example) is going to look-and-feel exactly the same in a web page as it does in any other part of the OS user interface.

Now that we've all grown up a bit, and (much more importantly) we also know that (with appropriate usability considerations by designers) users don't have a problem with pretty form controls, it is generally accepted that it is an OK thing when done in moderation. Even Apple/the Safari team have accepted this, and the next version of Safari will be much more permissive of widget styling, by providing a mechanism to relax the enforcing of OS conventions through the W3C standard method of providing vendor-specific CSS extensions.

Dave Hyatt, who left Mozilla to become lead developer (or something - don't know his actual title) on Safari, has blogged about it:
<http://webkit.org/blog/?p=17>

Regards,

Nick.
--