Hi

KHTML is the Open Source HTML rendering engine that Apple webkit is based
off (and feeds back into) It's part of the KDE project (KdeHTML) - the free
desktop environment for Linux. You can read more about it at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KHTML and  http://khtml.info
If you run recent version of Konquerer you get a pretty good realisation of
what Safari will render a site as - all you have to do us run a Linux box or
if you don't want to do that run up a KDE distro Live CD like Kubuntu.

It's the right way to do vendor specific extensions to CSS e.g -moz-blah and
-khtml-blah etc etc. So ,for instance, Gecko is supposed to ignore
everything vendor specific and non -moz-*. I don't think IE has any -ie-*
rules, -opera-* maybe ? dunno.

HTH
James

On 11/17/06, Nick Fitzsimons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 16 Nov 2006, at 14:37:50, Barney Carroll wrote:

> -khtml-text-decorations-in-effect
>
> ...Which I have seen in effect - proprietary and usually only used
> in Apple sites since it is naturally not w3 css.

It depends what you mean by "W3C CSS". The CSS spec allows for vendor-
specific extension properties of the form shown; so it is in fact
fully compliant with W3C CSS:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q4>

although it is, by definition, not one of the CSS properties
specified by the W3C (which I assume was what you meant).

I'm not sure what the validator does with this kind of by-the-spec
extension property but, if it flags it as an error rather than a
warning, it's (IMHO) a flaw in the validator:

"CSS implementations may not recognize such properties and may ignore
them according to the rules for handling parsing errors"

Regards,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons