I think you're missing the point of what i'm saying. Good semantic markup has more meaning, that's what semantics are all about. However, an algorithm can only begin to assess the true meaning if the syntax is correct (humans don't always have to do this, because humans are smart). Good syntax and good semantics result in a search algorithm being able to correctly understand the content of the page and subsequently order results as well as possible.

This isn't a sinister situation where standards-compliant sites are given a ranking bonus because they follow some elitist rules, that should never happen. A compliant site merely has more information (the technical kind) for the search engine to draw upon. It could be that good syntax and semantics actually makes your site appear in results less results because the search engine knows that it's completely irrelevant to more search queries. The aim should be to make the search algorithms more accurate, and if people are looking for what you have to offer then of course you should appear in the results.

Now i'm not saying search engines do this at the moment (i don't know), but if the algorithms start taking a closer look at the content of pages, you can bet that strong semantic markup will play a big part in this.

Regards,
Andrew

Barney Carroll wrote:
The search engine thing is pretty much a lie.

People are begging Google to factor w3c validity into the relevance of their results, but there's no good reason they should - and I personally believe this is a bit sinister.

Invalid code should succeed or fail on its own merits, not because standardistas bully 'validity' into practice.

I hold Google in very high esteem for their complete magnanimity over standards while maintaining (some might say as a result) the highest elegance and popularity.

If human beings or machines start complaining that this irreverence is in any practical way detrimental to their experience, then standardistas should flock to the rescue. Until then, the notion cannot help but smell mafiosi - protection racket kind of stuff (- You need this 'help' I'm giving you. I know it seems inconvenient and expensive but you really do. - This really doesn't look like help to me. - I don't remember asking you a goddamn thing).

I sympathise with the client: if I can't justify how it's useful to them, then there's no reason they should be bothered with it. If I can't justify it to myself, there's no reason I should bother myself with it. This is the ultimate opportunity to question yourself and work out whether you adhere to standards because of their actual virtue or simply because you like rules, big crowds, and being better than other people.

Regards,
Barney