I'm not entirely sure if this query falls under the scope of this group, apologies for that.

One of the points in accessibility checks is that information conveyed using colour is also conveyed without. The most common way of doing visited links is to have them be a slightly different colour. It's my opinion that in a purely visual sense (because I don't know how screen readers announce visited links) this approach is inaccessible.

What are your accessible methods of styling visited links? I'd imagine there'll be some votes for bold/normal, underline/normal. Is total inversion of background and foreground colour accessible? You can use fancy checkbox images (but obviously requires images which raises another issue) you can use :before or :after and content to add a unicode tick to any visited links (requires that your browser supports the pseudo-classes). Some people might not even bother styling visited links.

There's a more to this than i'd previously thought and it'd be great to get some opinions.

- Andrew Ingram