Quoting Barney Carroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On the issue of background-images: I had never heard of people turning
off background images before coming to the list.

How is it done? Why is it done? How common is it?

In your browser's preferences, often hidden away. Why? To save bandwidth. A site should still function and provide important information in that scenario (which is often the argument against certain image replacement techniques), but in general I'd treat it as "roughing it", a conscious decision on the user's part, so certain usability niceties etc often can't be accommodated in this particular scenario.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com