On 10 Jan 2007, at 07:16:12, Nick Cowie wrote:

Why you use hover.htc instead of custom javascript for hover effects.
1 it saves you time
2 if you use in a number of places in your site, it saves users time, it
only needs to be downloaded once

If I remember correctly, there is a bug which means that IE not only always downloads an .htc file without checking the cache, it also downloads it every time it is referenced. So if you refer to it 5 times in a page, it will be downloaded 5 times, on every visit to the page. This is not affected by the user's settings for cache usage.

This may have been fixed in IE7, but I don't really have any use for them these days so I haven't checked. They're OK for intranet applications where the client has specified support for IE only, though.

Regards,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons