I know these tags are only supposed to be used for presentational rather than semantic emphasis, but i've been struggling to come up with examples of when they would be used.

The only situation I can think of when there is an established visual standard for certain things that don't really have a semantic emphasis.

For example, when listing somebody's academic qualifications the standard is to display the institution in italics but i'd say that it's not appropriate to use <em>.

A. Ingram, MEng <i>Warw</i>

Does anyone know of any other legitimate uses of these tags?

- Andrew Ingram