I do not agree.

The VISUAL impact or VISUAL meaning should be added by CSS. If you need
italicized text, you´ll be probally trying to add some emphasis or
differentiation in the page. Why should we hide this from our NON-VISUAL
friends?

Legitimate <i> , it´s the same of legitimate <font>.  It´s the presentation
over meaning.

:D

Mike at Green-Beast.com wrote:

Hello Andrew,

Does anyone know of any other
legitimate uses of these tags?

For the life of me I cannot think of one legitimate use for the <b> element.
If it's bold then the reason is probably strong emphasis thus <strong>
should be used. Otherwise it should be made bold in the CSS. For the <i>
element, though, I can think of a couple of legitimate uses:

1) To convey thought. Thought as in unspoken dialog should be italicized.
This should be on the page, not CSS-styled so as to retain at least visual
meaning.

   Example: <i>That's a good idea</i>, he thought to himself.

2) Language usage such as Latin as this is a long standing convention in
print and must be retained (thus not styled via CSS).

   Example: <i lang="la">Lorem ispum</i>

That's my thinking on the matter. Hope it helps.

Respectfully,
Mike Cherim
http://green-beast.com/