Hassan Schroeder wrote:
Your HR will show a logical separation exists without depending on
presentational styling via CSS.

But I won't see your pretty /non-semantic/ DIV border using Lynx,
for example...
So granted, hr is /purely/ presentational, but if your objective is to show a separation between two sections, I can think of a better element to do that. In fact, I can think of six elements which can do that and all of them are much more semantically valuable then an hr, namely h1 through h6. Now you can hae the best of all worlds: text browsers get text, screen readers get words, and graphical browsers can get a textual separator, a graphical separator, or both.