There are two possible problems with regen on a motorcycle. The first depends on the motor type. Permanent Magnet and Sepex motors do regen well, series wound motors do not. So the first issue may or may not be an issue depending on your motor type. Personally I have a series wound motor. The second issue has to do with the dynamics of braking a bike. All the regen will be applied to the drive wheel which means that all your braking force is applied to your back wheel only. Another minor issue would have to do with the brake lights, but that should be easy enough to overcome. I think that the biggest deal is that regen is not going to gain you much on a motorcycle. Coasting is much more effecient than regen, so if you are coming up on an intersection that you need to stop for coast into it as much as possible. If you are going down hill coast and pick up a little extra speed. Basically, most of the benefits of regen are available by changing the way you ride. In general, most people with regen on electric vehicles report that a best they get a 10% range increase, and often much less than that. So not being practical is a combination of some techincal details as well as not much pay off.

Having said that, I have regen on my Honda Insight, and I think it is great. There is no reason I would not want to have regen on my motorcycle if it were given to me for free and someone worked out all the details. It's just that to pay for it and get it all working is not worth the payoff to me.

I believe that Garret currently has a motorcycle for sale on the EV Tradin Post with regen for $2800. It's a nice looking bike and at the price a smokin deal for all that you are getting. If I didn't already have my own running EM and an electric pickup in the works I'd be sorely tempted to buy it myself.

damon

From: "Travis Gintz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ElectricMotorcycles <listserv@electricmotorcycles.net>
Subject: Re: [ElectricMotorcycles] Kelly's controller?
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:24:31 -0700

Why wouldn't it be practical? I mean, you're essentially recharging
the batteries and using that to supply some braking as well... is that
correct?

I think I'm going to contact the manufacturer and get more specs and
information and maybe the controller software so I can play with some
setups.

Just in the research phase right now.

I've seen all the VFR's out on austinev and checked out Ben's... amazing job.

what motor should I use...

On 6/22/07, Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I got a VFR 700 for free... I was looking for a newer sport bike, but
>its got a clear title and all the parts. Figure If I outgrow it, sell
>it, or part it out and get a different bike and recycle.
>
>I like the old VFR's too...

Sounds like the perfect bike then!

>The kelly controller seems pretty inexpensive, just wondering
>performance... Money isn't an issue, regen would be nice, but other
>models its really spendy.

I think you should buy one so we all have a reference point.
Actually, my bank account is on zero right now after getting new
batteries into my bike otherwise I'd try one of the Kelly's with
regen. There seems some debate as to weather regen on a bike is
practical.

Mike

--

The Electric Motorcycle Portal