I run a roller chain and it is very quit.  I think it did get a bit quieter
after the first 50 miles or so.  I'm doubtfully of a significant (6dB)
difference changing to an o-ring chain.  The main advantage of o-ring is
holding the grease in for 20k-30k mile chain life.  I don't think there is an
EM out there with enough miles on it to have worn out a roller chain if it has
been oiled.  Personally I'll stand by the roller chain for an EM. Lubricated it
also has *slightly* less drag.  #40 ansi chain and motorcycle 420 and 428 all
use 1/2" pitch, only the width is slightly different.  I think ansi is the most
narrow, so no problem using a motorcycle o-ring chain on a #40 sprocket.  Do a
websearch and you can find the width numbers.
I am using a #40 front, #40 chain and "428" rear sprocket and no signs of wear,
but its only been 1.5k miles.
Garret

Andrew Wowk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Travis,
you mention using an o-ring chain to quiet things down. I'm curious if these
are available for a standard #40 chain? I'm also using a machine chain which
seems to work fine. The noise generated might actually be good for safety. The
bike has a shock absorber in the wheel coupled to the rear sprocket which
probably helps some with the pulsations created by the driven sprocket.