I'm using a Logisystems controller now on my bike. I'm very pleased with the
smooth response. Its rated for 72v, and 1140 amps, but I'm only running up
to about 600-700 amps max and much less continuous since it's on a bike. The
ramp is about 1.5 to 2 seconds to full on which is perfect for me. It's in a
small case size (same as the smaller curtis golf cart controllers) so they
advised me not to run too many amps through it for too long, and make sure
the temperature stays within limits. Not a problem in my application though
as the controller just gets warm to the touch after riding hard. It's
thermally coupled to the mounting plate which is 1/8 inch aluminum.

I'm not sure how the throttle response is different from the Curtis I was
using. If I was traveling at a certain speed like 40 mph for example, and
just touched the throttle with the Curtis, the current would go way up and I
would lurch forward. But with the Logisystems, I can very easily add just a
few amps, or lower the amps just a small amount if need be at any speed. I'm
using the same pot and pot box as before just backwards to get 5k-0 so
that's not the reason. It may be that the amount of current is ramped up on
the 1.5-2s delay and not the motor voltage, which would definitely make
sense for controlling the very high amps these controllers can deliver
especially with a PM motor which will deliver a high amount of torque, and
draw a lot of current if the voltage is adjusted just slightly higher.

If you order from them, you might talk to their engineer directly to get an
idea of the stock parameters that they build into the controllers to make
sure they meet your needs. These are awesome controllers for an amazing
price, but they just can't be reprogrammed or adjusted in any way unless
they've updated them or something since about a year ago.