Hi Bill and everyone,

While the event calendar for March is usually pretty much wide open with not
that much going on, especially compared to April, when there are 8 or more
events going on, I think the FLEAA as an organization, and its leadership,
need to have a general discussion with some careful thought and
deliberation on this issue of when to schedule our two biggest annual
events, BBB and SDC, going forward, including in relation to Electric
Dragin' on the west coast, another variable and wild card, new this year,
that also needs to be taken into consideration.  This discussion should take
place openly among the entire FLEAA membership, with everyone's ideas and
thoughts solicited and welcomed, and should obviously include the principals
who have been most active in organizing and working on the two respective
events.  This could take place via email, this list, as well as at one of
our monthly meetings in Boca Raton, either during or after the general
meeting, for anyone who wants to stay and participate in the discussion.

So Bill, could you make it down here to Boca for one of our monthly meetings
in the next few months?  I myself won't be at tomorrow's meeting as I am
laid up out of commission right now with a very nasty flu.

A couple of points to consider.

There are pros and cons to having our BBB and the west coast's Electic
Dragin' on the same weekend and possibly even within a close timeframe of a
few weeks within each other.  Most of the BBB principals I spoke with seem
to think that there are more pros than cons.  I'm ambivalent and undecided
about that.

For some of the same or similar reasons, I think there are definite
disadvantages to having BBB and SDC too close together.  ... e.g.
fundraising, planning and organizational logistics, to name just a few.
Another major issue is the amount of time and effort that our members have
to take, expend, and put into planning to come to these two big events from
some distance away, just within the state (which of course is a huge state
with large distances).  This is an enormous undertaking for most of our
members, including all the planning and logistics of towing/trailering their
EVs, or driving them long distances with multiple charging stops enroute,
which can take an entire day or two in each direction.

All of this needs to be thought through carefully.  What is too close
together in time?  I don't know.  Would the last weekend in January for BBB
(as it currently is) and the first weekend in March for SDC be too close
together?  Hhhhmmm, dunno, but I'm guessing probably so.  I fear that this
is going to be asking too much of our members to do both events in such a
short timeframe.  Most will likely end up choosing to go to one or the
other, thereby dissipating both events.  Unfortunately we just don't have
enough EVs in South and Central Florida to dissipate ourselves like this.
In order to put on a good showing, we really need to have all our EVs at
these two big events, or at least as many as can possibly make it.  We need
to think about this and take this into consideration in planning the
schedule for these two events.

One possibility might be to consider moving BBB up one week to the Martin
Luther King three-day weekend (the third weekend in January) and then maybe
do SDC on the third or fourth weekend in March.  We would obviously need to
avoid doing SDC on Easter weekend, however.  Any thoughts on that idea?

Bill, what about late October or the first half of November for SDC?  I
actually don't like that first weekend in October very much because it is
still in the peak of hurricane season.  Too much risk of losing all the
planning/organizational effort put into it and the funds that have been
raised.  I think the last weekend of October or the first or second weekend
of November would be better.  Did your management there at FSEC give you any
reason why they don't want you to do SDC in the fall?

Charles Whalen