Hey all,

I was having a problem with my WCF web service talking to the database. I'm
using Linq to SQL, and discovered that it stores the connection strings in
settings in the project. If the string in the web.config is not found then
it falls back to the connection string in the dll. (from settings). That's
where I discovered my string seems to be an old string. Anyway I have gotten
it talking to my webhost's database again (they moved the SQL server and it
stopped working!).

The problem i'm having now is that on the server i'm trying to deploy my app
to it's got a similar problem, it can't connect to the database. I wrote a
command line app to make calls to the same assembly the webservice uses to
call the database, and it has no problems connecting.
The connection string in the command's config and the string in the
web.config is the same. I've tried changing it from (local) to 127.0.0.1 to
the subnet ip address and all seem to fail. I see no hits on the database
using SQL profiler. It has to be a connection string issue but I can't see
it for looking. Any ideas anyone? oh, I've set up my local machine in a
similar manner and it works (using (local)) so putting that up on the server
you'd think it would work. Could be a cross domain thing but the webservice
is working its just the database calls by the webservice are failing.

thanks!
Stephen
p.s. this was the problem I was trying to solve when I hit the other problem
I posted earlier today. tough day!