I had established eventually that it was a case of an incorrect connection
string being used. I didn't know where it was getting the string from. I had
the connection string in the web.config but did not realise I had a number
of different strings in the Linq to sql assembly. I've found those (in the
settings for that project) and removed them all except for the correct one.
Now the name matches up with the named connection in the web config so it
works on my own web host.

I'm still stuck however on the server in the test environment. (I have three
environments, my own local  machine, my own personal web host, and my work's
test server. The work test server is still giving me problems connecting).

I wrote a command line program that uses the same assembly the web service
uses (yay for code seperation!) and when I run it locally on the test server
(same place the web service is running) then it can connect and bring back
data ok. the web service fails. The web service is using the same connection
string that is in the config file for the command program. I could set up
the code you suggested in the constructor but the command line program is
working so not sure if I need to?

I feel like i'm so close to solving it. I migth have to put in some logging
or something so I can see what it's trying to use for the connection. The
hardest part is not being able to remotely debug the thing. (Not sure how or
even if that's possible? not done it before)
thanks so much,
Stephen