On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:11:06PM -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:
> "Stainless" is exactly that, Stain-Less.
>
> Depends on the grade.
>
> 304 (18-8) is basically useless in a marine environment.
>
> 308/9 is normally used for burners.
>
> 316L should be only choice for marine applications.

Nah; blades used in a marine environment should be 420 or 420H.
Austenitic steels can't be hardened enough to be much use in blades.
Also, 316L is only really necessary if the piece of steel is to be
welded, otherwise 316 is just fine. For an exhaust system, you might
want 316T1, which has improved heat resistance (though I think that's
heat-to-softening or heat-to-melting rather than heat-to-corrosion,
since the whole point of 316L--and L grades in general--is that they can
be welded without compromising the corrosion resistance).

Cheers,
Kris

--
Kris Coward                                     http://unripe.melon.org/