On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 04:11:15 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>WOW! You guys have sent a lot of great ideas.
>
>Bill & I are opposites when it comes to people & islands. He likes  the
>quiet out of the way places. Those are nice & I enjoy  those places. However,
>enjoy being around people too. Not just the  islands, but other boaters as
>well. I enjoy listening to the stories that others  have to tell. And
>learning of different places to go & things to see.

We haven't been to the Bahamas since 2002 because Bob had a heart
attack and we just didn't go back after that.  I like to be in a
marina and go out to dinner every night, and Bob just likes the
sailing part, and not so much the marina part.

>At some of the places that have been mentioned, why did you decide to go
>there?

I read some of the guides and decided on that basis.  We were somewhat
restricted because we have a very slow boat and some of the places
were more than a day's travel for us.  I do the planning and he does
the implementation.  So the places we went were the places we could
get to in a day's sail.

We went to Bimini because it was the closest place and I really liked
it.  It was not fancy or a tricked up place for tourists.  You could
rent a golf cart and see all of Alicetown in an hour.  The ladies
baked bread and coconut candy.  There were some little restaurants.  I
had the radio on all the time because that was how you heard all the
gossip.  There was none of the 'stay off of Channel 16' stuff from any
authority.  I could hear when people wanted a water taxi pick up or if
the restaurant had ice cream - it was like a big party line.

We went to Frazier's Hog Key in the Berries because it was the next
place - we spent the night on the Banks and then went there.  Not much
there.   You can take a mooring but our boat is really too big for
their moorings.  Very few people.  You could anchor and spend a lot of
time there without seeing many people.

Next we went to Nassau.  I listened to the local radio station, and I
loved a song I heard which the refrain went "If you can't find your
friend in Nassau, he's in Freeport, or he's in jail".  I enjoyed
Nassau too, although it was a large city.

After Bob's heart attack we went to Chubb which I wasn't too fond of,
but when we were there, the transients had pot lucks etc.  We also
went to Lucaya.  The marina had a water taxi to take you over to the
marketplace where there was music and restaurants, and the cruisers in
the marina were friendly.  You could get a jitney bus into Freeport to
shop if you wanted.  West End was quite isolated and I felt it was
'cold'.

An illustrated log of our first trip (written for non-sailors) starts
here http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/2abf0/#TL  I talk about
pocketmail which is what we had in those days - they are out of
business now.

The second trip starts here
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/2e608/#TL

>Any other places you would like to go that you haven't had a chance  yet?

We didn't get to the Abacos or Georgetown in the Exumas or the Berry
Islands (except for the lower end) and would have liked to go there