From: Ben Okopnik
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2011 10:28 AM
To: liveaboard@liveaboardonline.com
Subject: Re: [Liveaboard] EXT : Any other lists more active?

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 09:15:02AM -0500, Skip Gundlach wrote:
> I'm part of cruisers_online_network, a truly international list (many
> receive
> their mail/listserve over Pactor)...
>
> I'm away from my home computer, but I'll follow up in a week or so with
> info on
> that one.

Google is your friend:

:)

> That said, I wouldn't disengage from this. ═Also, I DETEST web interfaces
> of
> all stripes, much preferring listserve, or at a distance, NNTP newsgroups,
> where stuff comes to my mailbox without the need to log on, go to a web
> site,
> or any other much more bandwidth intensive activity. ═It also allows me a
> preview of what I'm either going to open or disregard, vs having to wade
> through lots of title-only stuff in forums...

Having grown up with the computer industry and having started with BBSes
and later USENET, I feel exactly the same way. What a waste of
bandwidth, and what a horrible restriction web-only interfaces are!

As my own small blow for justice, I wrote a kit of programs that daily
retrieves all the posts from a certain Yahoo group, parses them back
into their original format (i.e., email), and backs them up in a
searchable archive. In some ways, it's one of the most satisfying
projects I've ever done.

> My 2 cents; this is a great list,

Agreed!

Ben
--
                       OKOPNIK CONSULTING
        Custom Computing Solutions For Your Business

To search the archives
http://www.mail-archive.com/liveaboard@liveaboardnow.org

The Mailman Users Guide can be found here
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-member/index.html