Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2010, at 9:58 AM, William Immendorf wrote:
>> What I think we should do is:
>>
>> 1. Clean up the build scripts so that they are more maintainable, if
>> anyone wants to do that soon, that would be really helpful.
>
> Well I recently did clean them up. They are about as clean now as they're
> going to get (I think). What I think might need to be discussed is if an
> entirely new build methodology is in order. Some time ago, I brought up the
> possibility of using package management to ease maintenance of the CD. We
> started (a very small start) down this path but never followed through.
>
>> 2. Update the scripts to use current SVN (soon to be 6.7). and update
>> the BLFS packages as well.
>
> Depends on #1.
>
>> 3. Either update XFCE to 4.6.2, or replace it with LXDE (and we
>> should add XFCE and/or LXDE to the book, and add back HAL support
>> since it's usable again.)
>
> Again depends on #1. Also, it depends on what the purpose of the CD is
> decided to be. I'm not 100% certain the cd should even contain X.
>
>> 4. And elect a new maintainer for this package.
>
> Very possible. I don't mind staying on and managing, but I can't do all the
> work alone. I also don't mind handing over the reins entirely if that is what
> is best for the project.
>
>> I will really apprecate it if the LiveCD has gone back alive, as I've
>> been using Sidux to build LFS, and I would love it if I can matain
>> this project.

Ok some thoughts on the subject.
to make the creation of the "official" lfslivecd iso easier, why not
look into something like the mklivecd script? It's used by Mandriva and
PCLinuxOS to create a livecd from an installed system.

Then, all it takes is to build a stable lfs system with the needed
packages for the livecd and run the script.
mount the iso and add the sources if the mklivecd script doesn't allow
for it when run.
Yes, there would be the upload time for the original iso image to make
it available. Those who don't have data transfer costs for such would
likely be a better option for the actual build and upload.
Naturally, that would depend on the cd being kept active.

As far as purpose and direction goes, a simple one, a sane build
environment for the [emphasis] current [/emphasis] lfs book.
While the livecd is a separate project, it needs to be tied into the
stable releases of the book, so that it has a current version available
with each stable version of the book, or it becomes a nightmare to
maintain again.

Part of the problem isn't the complexity of the current build scripts,
it's the need of a project like the livecd to include as much different
hardware support as possible. this means many people need to test the
livecd on as many different machines as they can. That slows down the
project, when compared to the book, to a snails pace. If the livecd
doesn't support as many platforms as possible, then it will fail to
provide a sane build environment for someone. but that could means there
would need to be more than the x86 build iso available [ spark, powerpc,
the atom processors for many netbooks etc. ] if taken to the full
platform support, far more people needed, with some not so common
hardware then.

What packages need to be included? While X isn't "required" to build an
lfs system, it does make the process easier, and it makes getting help
via irc channel far easier. The gui ccopy and paste functionality can
really help with getting good problem reports in pastebin, while being
in the irc channel and checking mail lists etc. Far easier than doing
the copy and paste across multiple console logins. This means I would
argue for keeping X in the packages. :D

that would then add several gui tools needed, the current ones all work
but need to be brought to current versions.
[ which can be problematic, Seamonkey 2 series sucks, the message bars
are a major issue for me, random crashes of the suite, and a tsr bug I
reported to the project and is being worked on. ]

I could probably go on for quite a while on different parts of it, but
will call it quits for now. :D

Jaqui