I haven't rebuild on Mac since I did those and just started doing some quick reading. Having those symbols undefined is an intentional indication that the code could not recognize the wchar_t as one of the two currently supported mappings, UTF-16LE (for Windows, detected when _WIN32 is defined) and UCS-4 (when __STD_ISO_10646... is defined). I haven't figured out exactly what wchar_t is on the Mac platform (it suggests CFString to be used in place of wstring). Until I can cycle over to the Mac (I do a slow iteration among platforms), I would suggest that you build log4cxx with use of wchar_t disabled.

ant -Dhas.wchar_t=0