Ralph Goers skrev  den 05-08-2008 03:42:
I don't think you looked carefully enough. Fixing some of the way things are currently implemented will probably break compatibility. For example, getting rid of Category - which has been deprecated for years.
That is true. So 100% binary compatability will not be kept.
Creating a good implementation of LocationInfo requires Java 5 as that is when Thread.getStackTrace() became available. nio didn't become available until 1.4. Frankly, I have zero interest in working on a log4j that doesn't have Java 5 as a minimum. Log4j is "good enough" for older Java releases but real improvements need to be made.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you specifically have in mind. There are probably a lot of things I have missed living firmly in the pre-1.5 world (we have to be able to run on plain AS/400 installations where 1.3 is the only JVM available).

One way or another, JBoss and log4j need to play better together. I created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-18 just for that. Feel free to update it with your thoughts.

I'll have a look at it

The point of the Jira issues was to do exactly that. I suggest that instead of posting the ideas here where they will probably be forgotten that you add them as Jira issues. Then go ahead and start figuring out how to implement them.
I know. Perhaps it is just a matter of habit, but I like to discuss things before creating the issues.
--
 Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen          "... plus... Tubular Bells!"