I agree PNG preferred. I also think we should require a higher-resolution
format (say, 600x600 or something like that) with instructions that it should
also look good scaled down to ___ (whatever the target resolution is). That way
we have a high-resolution logo if ever needed (like, for example, in the manual
PDF) without having to scale it up.

I also recommend some kind of standard naming convention for logos attached to
the JIRA. Perhaps:

lastname-firstname-logo01.extension

Where the numbers following the word "logo" represent which number it is that
person has submitted.

Just my thoughts.

Nick