Yours is a more elegant solution... I was just trying to find something that
Jim could do without making any Log4J mods.

-Chris
----- Original Message -----
From: "James House" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: Do I need to use multiple hierarchies, and how?

What about making a new appender that contains a collection of appenders -
each keyed with a name.

When the appender is told to log something, it can look at which thread is
doing the logging, and use the thread's name as the key to retrieve the
appropriate file appender, which it then delegates the work to?  -- if you
had the Async.Appender in front though, that would screw up the thread name
(since it has it's own thread), so maybe you'd have to pass something in
the log message that can be extracted and used as the key.....

-- granted this is a bit of work...

At 6/14/2001 04:32 PM -0700, you wrote:
>Wouldn't the easiest way to accomplish this is create Category and
>Appender for each new Thread as it enters the pool (where the name of the
>category and appender are the unique thread identifier assigned in the
>constructor):
>

>Thread t = new Thread(xxxSomeRunnablexxx,"xxxSome Thread Id");
>Category cat = Category.getInstance("xxxSomeRunnablexxx");
>FileAppender appender = new FileAppender(xxxSomeLayoutxxx,"xxxSome Thread
>Id"+".log");
>cat.addAppender(appender);
>
>And then from within the thread:
>
>Thread t = Thread.currentThread();
>Category cat = t.getInstance(t.getName());
>cat.ERROR(xxx); // or whatever
>

>That would probably be the easiest way to do this without making changes
>to Log4J.
>
>-Chris

You
> >have understand the rest of log4j pretty well before you use multiple
> >hierarchies. Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward. Regards, Ceki

> >If
> >multiple

> >--
> >Ceki Gülcü

arta.apache.org
> >For additional commands, e-mail:

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>--
>Ceki Gülcü

karta.apache.org
>For additional commands, e-mail:
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
rg