Kevin & Ceki,

One reason I can suggest that DailyRollingFileAppender uses 'file.log' as
the current log filename and only appends the date to logs that have been
rolled, is that it is easier to type...

$ tail -f myApp.log

... rather than ...

$ tail -f myApp.log.2001-06-3^H28^H   ("oh, darnit, what was today's date
again???")
$ ls -l *.log.*
$ tail -f myApp.log.2001-06-26

:-)

Just my 2c (from experience with a logging toolkit that generated log
filenames with the date and TIME to the SECOND that they were generated, a
rather more unnecessarily complicated case indeed, but you see where I am
coming from!)

Regards,
James W.