If you log to one file then you can write shell scripts or other programs to point to
the
"current" file when you are looking at the most recent logging information.  If you
add the
YYY-MM-DD you add more complexity to this then needed.  Since the step is already
there I would
keep it.  Perhaps if one wanted to run a automated process that checks the default log
for any
errors on the latest software release and then send out a email to the
admin/programmer if
anything goes wrong.  I usually see the active log and static logs as different
entities as well,
and having "file.log" and "file.log.YYY-MM-DD" exerts this distinction.  And under the
assumption
that the logs get saved daily, it is implicit that file.log is to be today's date.

Not sure, am I missing something here?

-Ben

Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> Eeuuh - I'd go with a bad choice. I can't think of no vital interest whatsoever.
>Regards, Ceki
>
> At 23:32 25.06.2001 -0700, you wrote:
> >DailyRollingFileAppender starts by logging to "file.log" and
> >eventually renames that file to "file.log.YYYY-MM-DD" (as
> >appropriate to the timing) and begins logging to a fresh
> >version of "file.log".  Why do this rather than start
> >logging to file "file.log.YYYY-MM-DD" in the first place so
> >that all files including the current file are date tagged?
> >Either this was an arbitrary design choice, or I'm not
> >seeing some vital importance to having the file currently
> >logged to always be the same -- I'm guessing the latter so
> >please enlighten me.
> >
> >Kevin

begin:vcard
n:Stocum;Ben
tel;home:442-1316
tel;work:383-3510
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.paychex.com
org:Paychex, Inc;Enterprise Development
adr:;;911 Panorama Trail S.;Rochester;NY;14625-2396;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Developer Lv 1
fn:Ben Stocum