I don't think he said anything about EJB. J2EE but not EJB. I don't recall
any rule against file io in servlets. I did a search of the archives and
found no  reference to his question. I don't see anything in the FAQ that
really addresses it either. Intuition would say multiple JVMs should not try
to write to the same file. But I can't find anything that clearly states
that log4j doesn't handle it.

Rick Hansen