Thanks to all who responded to my questions!  Yes, I had read the section of
http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/manual.html that describes the default
initialization approach... but apparently I hadn't read it closely enough to
realize its full potential.  I've converted my log4j.xml file to a
log4j.properties file*, and it's working great.  I've also looked into the
Jakarta Taglibs project, and that seems to be exactly what I need for making
logging requests from within a JSP.

Thanks again!

-JC

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.roguewave.com

*Too bad the default initialization process doesn't look for a log4j.xml
file!  I'd rather use an XML file over a Java properties file, and it would
be possible to do so if I could set the log4j.configuration system property,
but from what I've been told you can't set a system property inside a web
app's web.xml file.  Oh, well...