Heres my priority class (copied from a log4j posting a whileback) which is
also attached:

package com.yaga.logger;

import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;

import org.apache.log4j.*;

/**
 * A class that allows priorities greater than error but less than alert or
fatal
 *
 * @author Mike Papper
 * @version $Id:1.0.3$
 *
 */

/**
 * This extends the central log4j class to add count methods.
 */
public class CritPriority extends Priority {

    public static final int  CRIT_INT  = 42000;

    // We assimilate CRIT to CRIT on Syslog
    static final int SYSLOG_CRIT_INT   = 2;

    public static final CritPriority CRIT =
        new CritPriority(CRIT_INT, "CRIT", SYSLOG_CRIT_INT);

    protected CritPriority(int level, String strLevel, int syslogEquiv) {
        super(level, strLevel, syslogEquiv);
    }

    public static Priority toPriority(String sArg) {
        if (sArg == null)
          return CritPriority.CRIT;

        return (sArg.equalsIgnoreCase("CRIT")) ?
            CritPriority.CRIT :
              Priority.toPriority(sArg);
    }

    public static Priority toPriority(int i) throws IllegalArgumentException
{
        return (i == CRIT_INT) ?
            CritPriority.CRIT :
            Priority.toPriority(i);