Yes I have looked into those..however, it appears that when I want to log
to a remote server, I will be sending the string representation down the
wire, which I'd have to then parse into an object on the log server so I
can access the individual fields. It would be much more useful to send the
object down the wire so we can then work on the message object whether it
was local or remote.

- Tim

Timothy G. Mullé
Senior Software Architect
Reuters Valley Forge Solutions Center
1000 Madison Avenue
Norristown, PA 19403-2432

Phone: (610) 650-8600 x8340
Fax:      (610) 650-8170

                    Robert Bergstrom

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    scorp.com>                   cc:

                                                 Subject:     RE: Design: How to do
the following with Log4j
                    07/25/2001 03:47 PM

                    Please respond to

                    "LOG4J Users Mailing

                    List"

Tim:

Have you looked into ObjectRenderer/RenderMap?  They allow you to control
how a message is converted to a string.  You could map each one of your
custom objects to a different renderer.

Log4j is configurable at runtime.  It can watch its configuration files or
be configured programmatically.

The overhead associated with logging is covered in detail here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/performance/Logging.html

If your system can handle the load, careful logging shouldn't impact the
system adversely.

HTH,

Robert Bergstrom
Solutions Architect