Hi,
     This is kind of a conceptual question.  I've been asked to look at 3rd
party loggers, and one main priority is that they have support for various
channels.  So I am wondering if and how Log4j uses channels.  In a previous
logging system I used, every log method took a String channel argument.  A
properties file maintained a list of these channels and provided the
ability to turn them on or off (e.g. "channelX=true" (or false) ).  I'm
trying to discover how this concept applies to Log4j.

what I mean by channels:
So  For example, if an Appender such as a RollingFileAppender represents an
overal log stream, inside this are several seperate streams representing
various sources of logging information.  So if you think of the log levels
(debug, info, warn, etc) as horizontal control, the channels then represent
vertical control.

Is the answer as obvious as "Categories are log4j's version of channels"?
If so, how would you toggle a Category between on and off ?  Can this be
done in the log4j.configuration file?

Thank you,

Craig R.