From: Kent Yang [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 9:16 PM
To: LOG4J Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: JSR47 vs. log4j (take two)

I am encourage by the latest developments.  However, I wonder why
Sun didn't just specify an interface and allow different logging backends
to be plug-in.  That way developers can decide what implementation
they want to use.  Sun did this with a lot of their APIs (Security, Sockets,
etc...)  Can this be done?  Is there some reason log4j can't be the engine
behind a specified interface?  I am still a newbie with the log4j API (I
know
you can plug in different appenders) but I am no log4j expert and I
don't know enough about the innerds to know whether this is possible
or not.

Mabye someone else can comment?

Kent