I figured it out.
When I removed %F and %L from log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern in
my log4j configuration file, the system no longer calls LocationInfo - I
guess that makes sense.

Still, it's surpsising that PrintStackTrace on Solaris would take that long
- we didn't see anything like that while running on Win2K.

Ilya