> But wrapping the log4j calls in a class of my own won't work
> - because then when strings are logged - it will give the
> filename and line number of my wrapper method instead of the
> filename/line number of the place that the log statement was made.

You can pass in the name of your wrapper class as the FQCN and then the
correct class/line number will be displayed.  Doing this is not a problem.
Look for FQCN in the api documentation for Category/Logger.

But, are you saying that your wrapper would decide whether to make calls to
log4j depending on some kind of check it performs at class load time?  I
guess that would work.

-Mark