Howdy,
Even if deploy exploded (a feature servlet containers are not required
to support), the server admin may configure the server such that you
don't have write access under your webapp.  The only directory you're
guaranteed write access to by the servlet specification is
javax.servlet.context.tempdir, which the container may clean on
shutdown, so you don't want to put your logs there.

Deciding where logs go is a server administrator decision: leave it up
to he/she by allowing them to configure something easily in web.xml or
better yet, a server configuration entry you pick up via an env-entry in
your web.xml file.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

Is
>that server-dependent?

deployment-specific
>information into system variables (Weblogic does), then you can use
them.

>Is it really necessary to do it in a totally app-server independent
manner?
>It's just a matter of changing the config file.  Are you running a
>heterogenous set of J2EE servers?

and notify the sender.  Thank you.