>          I don't know, perhaps my solution is too simplistic or too
> low-tech, but for a webapp, I simply have a URL that I ping
> when I change
> the log4j config file.  Since the config file doesn't change
> automatically,

This is the approach I use.  I have a servlet that calls configure().  I
also have it set up to accept a url parameter, in case I want to reload a
log4j config file from a url (we developers don't always have access to the
file system).

> it's pretty trivial to hit the URL right after I change the
> file.  I agree, it's not fully automatic, but it certainly does avoid all
the
> rest of the headache with timers and threads.

Agreed.  I personally feel more confident when I can directly force the
reload myself rather than waiting for some thread to silently reload the
config.  I guess I'm a control freak :)

The login approach would work, but I don't personally see any benefit over
the servlet approach.

Ken