On 8/15/06, Takacs Bence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > 1. Only have log4j.properties and log4j.jar under tomcat/shared or
 > tomcat/common

What do you mean 'or'???
Two directories for two different functions. One for tomcat 'inner'
configuration (tomcat/common), and one for 'applications' configuration
(tomcat/shared). As far as I know they are not in 'or' relation...
Maybe I can put only one log4j.jar, but what about the properties file???

I adminit that I don't know the difference between those two
directories but I have my log4j.jar in tomcat/common and the apps can
access log4j classes just fine.  Basically for this option I meant to
put it in a directory so that it is in both the classpath for both
tomcat and the apps.

Is Log4j such sensitive??? Or am I the one who doesn't understand the point?
Basically you can have only 1 config file and 1 log4j.jar in the
classpath.  The log4j core classes only try to configure themselves
once so you only want 1 log4j.jar and 1 log4j config file in the
classpath.  If you have multiple then it might not use the config file
that you expect.  Since the app server has different classpaths for
different parts you end up with these options for where you want the
log4j files.

 > Try running with -Dlog4j.debug.  That should give you more info about
 > the problem.
 > It is a command line option so that depends on how you run Tomcat.  I
 > put it in the Java tab of the "Configure Tomcat" applicaton.
So I'have called catalina with theese switch. And then? I experienced
nothing different...

When you use -Dlog4j.debug log4j will print extra info to standard output.

Thanks:
        Bence