XMLLayout in both 1.2 and 1.3 can produce "bad" XML in several scenarios as reported in bugs 29244, 34875 and 37560. Since I was an XML guru in a former life, I know of additional holes in the implementation. If you'd be interested in testing it, I could take a shot at re-implementing XMLLayout. I think that would be a better solution than trying to filter content to avoid the bugs.