On Sep 19, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Praveen Kumar Hasthalapuram wrote:

Hi Curt,

We are facing problems with this chatacter  "�" issue,

Is there any standard convention for representing a character of value 0 in
XML
(and other control characters)? I understand that we can't actually *have* such a character - that's why � is illegal - but sometimes we want to
output
data that includes such characters.

or How to escape these characters in xml report.

Regards,
Praveen

Certain characters are prohibited from being represented in XML content, see http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#charsets. Other characters, such as <, "" and & which are used in markup have to be represented by entity references such as &lt; , &quot; and &amp;. In addition, it might be prudent to represent characters with code points > 127 using numeric character references which would eliminate the possibility to misinterpret characters due improper encoding.

So you'd have:

Prohibited character values (0x0000, 0x0007): Either substitute place holder character (for example, '?') or markup (<badchar>0000</badchar>).
Markup characters (<): Substitute built in entities: &lt;
Code points > 127: Substitute hex character reference.