Properties in Chainsaw are any name/value pair -property- associated
with a received event - they are displayed in their own column in the
event table.

MDC entries show up as properties in Chainsaw.

Any arbitrary name/value pair can be added as properties to events, and
MDC is one way to get those properties set (another is the 'application'
param on socketappender).

In the log4j receivers companion, there is a rewrite appender through
which you can add properties to all events processed by an appender:

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/receivers/apidocs/org/apache/
log4j/rewrite/package-summary.html

In Chainsaw, the documentation mentioning 'PROP.keyname' is shorthand
for the name of any property associated with an event.

'application', 'log4jid', 'hostname' and 'log4j.remoteSourceInfo' are
the only log4j-provided property names if I recall.  application,
hostname and log4j.remoteSourceInfo are provided by the network-related
appenders.  Log4jid is created on the Chainsaw side to support event
ordering.

Scott Deboy
Principal Engineer
COMOTIV SYSTEMS