I'm sure you get this a lot but after reading quite a few posts I am still kind of confused:

The lineage between the 1.3 and 1.2 branches is very hazy. From what i can tell 1.3 is essentially dead and that 1.2 is the recommended version to use.

As for chainsaw, should I be using the v2 that is available directly on apache's web site? This appears to be based on version 1.3 code if I read correctly. Should I instead be using version 1.2.15 and using the chainsaw client available from there as well as using log4j 1.2.15 on my appender side? I've seen posts mentioning getting the latest 1.2.15 version from svn to get the "right" version of chainsaw. Is that now current with the latest release or do I still need to tread into the waters of a nightly build?

On the back porting effort, what is the status there? Is that completed and that is the purpose of 1.2.15? Is that just a partial back-port with more to come? Is that a partial back-port and that's the end of the road?

And finally we have a third party app we were trying to get logging working under that is using 1.2.9. Could we safely drop in 1.2.15 and be able to configure our appenders as you describe (we have access to the log4j.properties file on the server)?

Thanks for being patient and walking me through all of this. You've easily save me a couple of days of bumbling around trying to get this to work.

Jason Tholstrup
Software Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]