OK, here are the details:

Follow the instructions here:
http://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/distributionnotes.html

The $user.home/.chainsaw folder will already exist, but you'll have to
create the $user.home/.chainsaw/plugins folder and copy the required
jars into that folder.

I have these jars in my .chainsaw/plugins folder:
commons-logging-1.1.1.jar
commons-vfs-1.0.jar
log4j-chainsaw-vfs.jar

You'll need to add the jCIFs jar to that folder

Also, under application-wide settings, there is a 'remove security
manager' checkbox that you need to check.

Restart Chainsaw and it should work.

The chainsaw-log tab will contain additional information if you don't
see the receiver in the receivers panel or no tab is created containing
the events.

For those of you using VFS to access ssh-accessible files with the
WebStart version of Chainsaw:

Add the target server to your $user.home/.ssh/known_hosts file (this
requirement is removed in trunk but that version has not yet been
released).

Scott Deboy
Principal Engineer
COMOTIV SYSTEMS