> One more dumb question for you.  If you're so smart, where did I find
the
> set up for the fatal log?  And why?

I would have had to agree with Bender's statement that logging with no
appenders makes the logging go nowhere, and I put together a test case to
make sure:

the program:

import org.apache.log4j.Logger;

public class TestNoAppenders {
    System.setProperty("log4j.debug", "true");
    System.setProperty("log4j.configuration",
"file:log4j-noappender.xml");

    Logger logger = Logger.getLogger("foo");
    logger.info("hello");
  }

}

the configuration:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/"; debug=
"true">
 <root>
  <priority value="INFO" />
 </root>
</log4j:configuration>

The output to stdout/stderr:

log4j: Using URL [file:log4j-noappender.xml] for automatic log4j
configuration.
log4j: Preferred configurator class: org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator
log4j: System property is :null
log4j: Standard DocumentBuilderFactory search succeded.
log4j: DocumentBuilderFactory is:
org.apache.crimson.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl
log4j: debug attribute= "true".
log4j: reset attribute= "false".
log4j: Threshold ="null".
log4j: Level value for root is  [INFO].
log4j: root level set to INFO
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (foo).

which is exactly what experience has lead me to expect (I have seen the
last two lines about a bajillion times in my life...), and Bender's
statement is quite accurate for the information given...

so now my curiousity is up: where *did* you find your output? if it showed
up anywhere, I would be inclined to think that a different configuration
was getting picked up...