With an application we have been running in production, we recently added
some jar files from another department's application in order to have the
wto apps communicate.

Since then we have been getting the following error in the log at
application startup.  It does not appear to cause log4j to stop working,
it's just a worrying thing to see in the log.  I am using log4j as a black
box at the simplest possible level, so this message is completely
incomprehensible to me, and it gives no stack trace or other indication
where the problem is occurring.

log4j:ERROR A "org.apache.log4j.FileAppender" object is not assignable to a
"org.apache.log4j.Appender" variable.
log4j:ERROR The class "org.apache.log4j.Appender" was loaded by
log4j:ERROR [
com.ibm.ws.classloader.compoundclassloa...@d940d94
   Local ClassPath: ...
   Delegation Mode: PARENT_FIRST] whereas object of type
log4j:ERROR "org.apache.log4j.FileAppender" was loaded by [
com.ibm.ws.classloader.compoundclassloa...@8060806
   Local ClassPath: ...
   Delegation Mode: PARENT_FIRST].
log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate appender named "SPRINGLOG".

Actually this set of messages occurs twice, once for FileAppender and the
repeated almost identically for ConsoleAppender.