That was what I thought originally.  But that isn't it...

The jars we added definitely do not contain a log4j.jar, (I have checked the
source and unzipped the jar files to be sure) and the only one in the
workspace is log4j-1.2.15.jar in the lib folder of the EAR project.  And all
the jar manifests of the component projects point to lib/log4j-1.2.15.jar.
We use IBM RAD7 and WebSphere 6.1.